intriguing 18th-century array of dwellings in the heart of the old city, now, unfortunately, under renovation and closed to the public.
Near Chatta Bazaar, was built as a royal residence in the 19th century: it is now a well-stocked museum.
Hyderabad Public School
Begumpet, was established as a school for nobility in the early 20th century.
The Paigah Tombs at Santoshnagar house the mortal remains of the Paigahs, Hyderabad's most significant oblemen: among other things, they were allowed to keep their own private armies.
The Badhahi Ashurkhana is a 16th century imambara in Afzalganj in the Old city.
One of the biggest and most elaborate mosques of Hyderabad.
Built by Hayat Bakshi Begaum, once housed a centre of Urdu learning.
West Godavari district 140 km (87 miles) Southwest of Hyderadad.
A major dhurrie - weaving centre today,
Warangal was dascribed by the 13th-century Venetian
traveller, Macro Polo, as one of the principal cities of South India. It
was the capital of the Hindu Kakatiya kings, who dominated this region
until the beginning of the 14th century.
An ancient fort at the edge of the modern town is all that remains of this
once grand city. Built during the regin of the Kakatiya queen Rudrama devi,
its striking circular plan, with three concentric rings of walls, is still
intact. The outer two rings, both of mud, define a circle 1.2 km (1 miles)
in diameter. The innermost ring is made of stone, with four massive gateways
at the cardinal points. At its geometric centre, four ornate toranas
(gateways), making the sacred precinct, are the only remains of a great Shiva
temple that once stood here. The toranas themselves are remarkable for their
size and beauty.
A short distance to the west is the Khush Mahal, an auidience hall that
was built by Muslim invaders in the 14th century. Massive angled walls with
silt windows define a lofty interior with vaulted arches, though the roof
is quite damaged. It is remarlably similar to the Hindola Mahal in Mandu.
It is situated at 70 km (44 miles) Southwest of Hyderabad. This village
is dominated by the Ramappa Temple, the best preserved example of Kakatiya
architecture. Dedicated to Shiva, it was built in 1234 by Recherla Rudra,
a generals place here.
Peddapuram, famous for its fine handwoven silk and cotton, is 30 km (19 miles)
northeast of Rajahmundry, on the road to Visakhapatnam.
the ruler Ganapatideva. Like the temple at Hanamkonda, it too has
a spacious mandapa with beautifully sculpted black basalt columns. This
mandapa, cruciform in with balcony seats on three sides. The eaves sheltering
the peripheral columns are supported by angled struts, many of which are
fashioned as three - dimensional maidens with graceful bodies in dancing
poses. Other similar but smaller relief figures, as well as scenes from
epics, are seen in the central ceiling panel within the mandapa.
The exterior of the sanctuary, in contrast, is devoid of any carvings. The restrained
ornamentation and simple modelling are typical of the elegance of Kakatiya art.
A stone pavilion sheltering a Nandi, smaller in size than the one at Hanamkonda,
but as exquistely carved, South of the Ramappa Temple is Ramappa Cheruvu, a vast
artificial lake created by Recherla Rudra, and surrounded by picturesque hills.
East Godavari District
It is situated at 380 km (236 miles) East from Hyderabad to Rajahmundry. The
Godavari, one of the South Indian's most sacred rivers, swells to a wide torrent
(at places 6 km/4 miles across), just north of Rajahmundry town. Lush paddy fields
and sugarcane plantations characterize the countryside.
Rajahmundry, the largest town in East Godavari district, is best known for the
many Chalukya temples in its vicinity, and for the 2,743-m (8,999 ft) long bridge
that spans the river. The lookout points on Dowleshvaram Dam (bult
1848-52), 10 km (6 miles) downstrem, offer spectacular views of the river. Every
12 years, the Dakshina Pushkaram festival - the Kumbh Mela of the South - take
Annavaram, 70 km (44 Rajahmundry, is the site of Satyanarayana
Temple, on Ratnagiri Hill, renowned for its 4-m (13 ft) high statue of
the Hindu Trinity,
and its ancient sundial.
The Godavari Gorge begins 80 km (50 miles) north of Rajahmundry. A drive
or boat ride along the gorge, which cuts through the hilly Eastern Ghats,
offers views of spectacular scenery, with a series of beautiful lakes that
many visitors have found remini cent of Italy and Scotland.
Ryali, 24 km (15 miles) south of Rajahmundry, has a Chalukya temple
dedicated to Vishnu. It houses a stone image of the Goddess Ganga, from
which flows a continous trickle of water.
Draksharamam, 40 km (25 miles) southeast of Rajahmundry, is famed for its
10th-century Bhimesvara Temple, which combines the Chalukya
and Chola styles of architecture, and houses a 5-m (16-ft)
high linga. The Godavari is said to have been split into seven
streams by the Saptarishis (seven great sages) of Hindu mythology
and three of these streams are believed to have gone underground
here. Close to the town is an old Dutch cemetery, locally known
as Ollandu Dibba ("Holland Mound"), with gravestones dated
between 1675 and 1728, some with very elaborate designs.
Antarvedi, on the banks of the Vashishta
river, a branch of the Godavari, is 112 km (70 miles) south
of Rajahmundry. It is best reached by boat from Narsapur
on the south bank. The Lakshminarayana Temple (built
in 1823), with its brightly painted tower stands on the
river bank, and is usually thronged with pilgrims who come
for a dip in the holy river.
This is situated Krishna district 340 km (211 miles) East of
Hyderabad. One of the first European settlements on India's eastern
coast, Machilipatnam ("City of Fish") was a thriving port and
textile centre in the 17th and 18th centuries. It was also the
headquaters of the English East India company on the Coromandel
Coast. The French and the Dutch briefly established themselves
here as well. The Dutch cemetery, with its ornate tombstones,
are all that remain from that period .
Manchilpatnam was hit by a gaint tidal wave in 1864, which
drowned more than 30,000 people. It was caused by a volcanic
eruption at Mount Krakatoa, 5,000 km (3,107 miles) away. After
that it lost its importance as a port, but it remains famous
for its kalamkari textiles.
Krishna district 267 km (166 miles) Southeast of Hyderabad. The
third largest city in the state, Vijayawada is a busy commercial
town with one of the largest railway junctions in the country.
In a picturesque spot on the northern bank of the Krishna river,
it is bounded on three sides by the Indrakiladri Hills. The area
around the river banks is a pleasant contrast to the noisty,
Within the city limits, on a low hill to the east, is the Kanakadurga
Temple, dedicated to the goddess Lakshmi. The Victoria
Jubilee Museum, on Bunder Road, houses a fine collection
of Buddhist and Hindu relics from the 2nd and 3rd centuries.
Especially impressive are the white limestone Standing
Buddha from the nearby Buddhist site of Alluru (3rd or 4th century),
and the powerful depiction of Durga slaying the buffalo
demon Mahisa (2nd century).
On the outskirts of town is the 1-km (0.6-mile) long Prakasam
Barrage, first built in 1855 and extensively reconstructed
in 1955. It irrigates nearly 1.2 million ha (3 million acres)
of land, turning the Krishna Delta into the richest granary
in Andhra Pradesh. Bhavani Island, a scenic picnic spot, is just
upstream, reached by launch from the river bank.
Nalgonda district 50 km (32 miles) East of Hyderabad. Andhra
Pradesh's ikat belt, where intricate tie-and-dye textiles are
woven, borders Hyderabad. Pochampalli, the name by which most
of the state's ikat fabric is known, is the largest centre for
this craft. The technique in its present form was first introduced
in the 19th century in Chirala, in Guntur district, from where
the fabric was exported to Africa.
Pochampalli's main street is lined with busy workshops where
the various stages of production take place. Ikat weavers first
tie the yarn according to the pattern and then dye them in great
vats. A special oil-based technique is used to restrict the dye
to those parts of the yarn that need to be coloured. The dyed
yarn is then dried in the sun and finally woven on large hand-operated
looms, to produce a cloth called telia rumal. The state cooperative
warehouses, as well as several shops, sell a wide range of beautiful
silk saris and fabrics.